Monday 5 March 2018

ars poetica by C. Buddingh'



ars poetica
C. Buddingh' [1918-1985]

I remember as if it were only yesterday
(I was maybe 22): I sat
brooding over a poem, and near the window
my mother was peeling the potatoes

the verse was not working: my back was
dripping with sweat and I thought with annoyance:
how in the name of god can one
write poetry in the same room
someone is peeling potatoes ?

That evening, when everyone was sleeping, I finished
the verse: it was an exceptionally bad verse

and I understood only very much later: the best
poetry is written while peeling potatoes


Original title: 'ars poetica' -from the collection 'Is dit genoeg: een stuk of wat gedichten -  honderd jaar Noord- en Zuidnederlandse poëzie (1880-1980) in dertig thema's - dl.II - samengesteld door C. Buddingh' en Eddy van Vliet - 1982 - Uitgeverij Elsevier Manteau, Amsterdam/Antwerpen

No comments:

Post a Comment