Wednesday 1 January 2020

The mother the wife by M. Nijhoff


The mother the wife
M. Nijhoff - 1894-1953
photo Internet

I went to Bommel to see the bridge.
I saw the new bridge. Two opposites
seeming to avoid each other in the past,
become neighbours again. About ten minutes
that I lay there in the grass, drinking my tea,
my head full of the landscape far and wide -
leave me there in the middle of infinity
hearing a voice that resounded in my ears.

It was a woman. The ship she sailed
came slowly downstream through the bridge.
She was alone on deck, she stood at the helm,

and what she sang I heard were psalms.
Oh, I thought, oh, that my mother were sailing there.
Praise God, she sang, His hand will guide you.


Original title: De moeder de vrouw From: Nieuwe gedichten - Em. Querido's Uitgeverij - Amsterdam 1934

No comments:

Post a Comment