Monday 26 October 2015

Dordrecht's museum garden by Jan Eijkelboom


Dordrecht's museum garden

When I am dead
in the garden of this museum
above the tangled noise of the leaves
a blackbird will sing just as clearly
on just such a late spring day.

And I, I shall be there no more
to forget with this singing
that I have to die in due course.

But on the other hand I shall
-you never know-
live much longer than that bird.
And anyhow when I lie six foot under
then my son shall once again hear
a blackbird sound just so
on just such a late spring day.
And he will know who I was
and oh, a bird knows nothing.

But on the other hand again:
if blackbirds could think about their fathers,
then they might croak like a raven.

Jan Eijkelboom 1926 - 2008
[photographer unknown]

Original title: Tuin Dordrechts museum - From: Wat blijft komt nooit terug - Uitgeverij De Arbeiderspers, Amsterdam, 1979.

No comments:

Post a Comment