Sunday 28 December 2014

1944 by Lizzy Sara May


1944

The week before my mother was fetched
from her safehouse I was with her with
my little son
eleven months old

she took him on her lap
held him with one hand and
with the other put a record on the
gramophone
will you give a hand? she asked me
I played the record
my son began to sway
you see
said my mother
he's musical
after the war I'll give him music lessons

a week later she was locked up in
a detention centre and when she was
transported to westerbork she wrote me on
a scrap of paper I'm alright

a year later when we
received her possessions
we found her calendar
changeable cards in a holder
it had stopped on the fourteen of April

only this card was yellowed

Lizzy Sara May [1918-1988]


Original title: 1944 - From the collection: Grim - 1969 - Uitgeverij De Bezige Bij, Amsterdam

No comments:

Post a Comment