Wednesday 24 December 2014

The portable gramophone from the winter of starvation by Jaap Harten


The portable gramophone from the winter of starvation

was the only weapon I had
against the Calvinism of my resident aunt
who was lamenting the old-fashioned way
or browsing in her old bible
for to comfort our lads with a
edifying word. She read: 'As having nothing,
and yet possessing all things' (2 Cor. 6:10)
and peeping meanwhile at the stew
which my mother had made of beet.

'Strike the hated kraut on his head!'
Wilhelmina called via the illegal channel,
but we just kept drinking surrogate coffee
and our handmaiden screwed the kraut.

I had in the attic my mythical world
without Wagner or Lohengrin and his swan.
I played records of Zarah Leander,
bombarded by my aunt, who sometimes
caught the sound,
into a bass with a bosom.

I cycled on a bike with wooden tyres
and hummed the forbidden music
of the enemy who fell apart in Russia.
I did not think about death; I was fourteen and randy.

(Original title: 'De koffergrammofoon uit de hongerwinter' - From the collection: 'Wat kan een manser betalen?', 1977 - Uitgeverij Querido, Amsterdam)
Jaap Harten [1930]


No comments:

Post a Comment